Tovi’s signature workshop: “Emotional Intelligence: Mindfulness as an Equity Tool”
“Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.” – Aristotle
This workshop explores the foundation of emotional intelligence in order to help school leaders and teachers thrive and build the core skills needed for peak performance, especially as it relates to equity work and creating trauma-sensitive environments. We will explore components of mindfulness-based emotional intelligence, mental and emotional resilience, and engagement. In addition, participants will explore scientifically proven methods of mental conditioning and attention-training that improve creativity, communication, productivity, and personal and school/classroom leadership. Also, participants will learn varied mindfulness and reflection practices that support happiness, thriving and overall well-being. The result is enhanced self-awareness and authenticity, better communication skills, stronger relationship-building skills, and the ability to lead and teach with greater presence – which supports a better school environment and better school and stakeholder relationships.
1. How mindfulness can support deeper learning of equity work and cultural-proficiency to improve work with youth and people of color, resulting in greater authenticity, connection, and well-being;
2. How meditation, when used explicitly as an equity tool, can reduce unconscious bias, stereotype threat, and other factors impacting cultural responsiveness and equity work;
3. The science behind the effects of meditation on the brain and body;
4. How mindfulness practices benefit stress-reduction, happiness, health, and well-being…giving our lives and work a greater sense of ease, flow, and peace; and
5. A “tool kit” of practices and exercises that work immediately and beyond